Back-to-School Craft Project: DIY Apple Balloons
DIY Project, Styling and Text by Studio DIY
Photos by Mary Costa Photography
Give the kids something to smile about with these easy-to-make apple balloons. They’re perfect for surprising the kids on their first day of school, using as props in those treasured first day pictures or delighting the new teacher with a whole bouquet of apple balloons. These fruity balloons are sure to make even the most nervous new students smile.
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- Green cardstock
- Brown cardstock
- 17” round, red latex balloons (These balloons are slightly rounder than regular latex balloons, but either ones will work.)
- Clear shipping tape
- First, cut out a leaf shape from the green cardstock (one per balloon) and a stem shape from the brown cardstock (also one per balloon).
- Next, inflate the balloons using your Balloon Time Helium Tank.
- Then, fold both the leaf and stem under about 1/4″ from the bottom to make a tab for attaching them to your balloon. Place the leaf on the top of the balloon and tape down the tab with clear shipping tape. If you find that the leaf is not standing up straight, cut a small strip of green cardstock and tape one end overtop of the tab on the leaf and fasten one strip to the center of the leaf, letting it curve in between as pictured. This will give it support.
- Lastly, adhere the stem next to the leaf by taping the tab to the balloon. That’s it – as easy as A, B, C. Now send your kids off to school with some apple balloon pride!
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on the Balloon Time carton.