STEM-Based “Magic” Wand
Explore the ‘magic’ of static electricity with this STEM-based project; designed to show the principles of positive and negative charges. This fun, simple experiment is a great way to demonstrate a scientific concept—without messing up a hair on your head!
- Balloon Time Helium Tank
- Three balloons
- Three balloon weights
- PVC pipe
- Cloth towel or rag
- Inflate balloons to appropriate size and tie them to the weights.
- Place the weights and balloons in a line with equal distance between them.
- Slowly wave the wand between each set of balloons.
- Rub the towel on one end of the PVC pipe to create a negative charge.
- Slowly wave the ‘wand’ between each set of balloons.
- Discuss why the balloons did not move before the cloth towel and why they did move after.
Note: Adult supervision is required when using balloons. Please read all warnings and precautions on Balloon Time packaging.